Jul 12, 2008

Finally married.

Married to the job.

I did a compare/contrast analysis on my ideas(more like misconceptions) on that new job in Comms before I joined and now i.e. two weeks into it.

Then:
My time at the agency last year was a hurricane of disastrously tight deadlines, clients yelling their head off, the boss lady yelling her head off and then the creative guys thinking, I am just not good enough to keep all the balls in the air (Wink!Wink! at Hetch).


Now:
Still a situation with tight deadlines. Internal clients who don't yell but put their displeasure forward in a sarcasticly caustic, politically correct manner which, in my opinion, is worse. The boss lady is freaking out more than I am, so I am the calming factor, which is new and interesting. The creative guys are troublesome until I pay them a visit, which is a twenty minute drive from the office and they like my face enough to do my work for me on time. It helps to be cute in the professional world :)

Then:
I am looking forward to the writing, though. It is less pressured because it business writing. I am good at that. Copywriting or creative writing, not so sure. I guess I did choose the safer option. I still have my blog for my creative (or destructive) brain-puke so I don't mind restricting myself to business writing at work.


Now:
Business writing is also bundooooing(courtesy: Bundoo@mindset)me royally. It's cos they want 300 word articles done in a span of an hour. My mind is not set for bullet-train speed writing yet. And this is not the safer option, because the big boss thinks I am creative for some odd reason and gives me all those campaigns that need that kind of ideation and input. That too in a day! Waaah....help me Hari :(

And the blog, it has become my girlfriend, who I don't see so much anymore. I don't get to write as often thanks to the wife(job).

Then:
Plus, the job involves dealing and interacting with many leaders across the global office. That should be fun too. I like people, and all kinds of em'. I get to sit on the 'executive' floor of the office complex, so this is a great networking opportunity. I get to cover events around the different service lines in the office so I am not chained to my desk all day long.


Now:
Yes, it does involve dealing and interacting with leaders. It also involves dealing with their high and sometimes unrealistic expectations, their unresponsiveness when it comes to sending content and their time tantrums. Executive floor is nice though, love the restroom with the full length mirror in it. As far as covering events go, I am like superman, flying from place to place, handling crises all over the place.

Then:
And I can read, read and read during work. Whether its blogs, online magazines, the newspaper, comics or novels... I am actually working on professional development and building my writing skills, vocabulary and creativity. All pre-requisites for the job so no one can call it leisure activity during work hours.


Now:
Hahahahahaha!! I am so cute when I am naive ain't I. Forget reading blogs, online magazines, newspapers etc....I don't get time to read my own emails...wait thats the business email I am talking about :). I find 5 minute windows between my meeting schedules to catch on my emails and sit on the weekend for a couple of hours to organize them. Leisurely activity amounts to the required pee breaks during the day and nothing more.

Then:
The salary is static, but hey I ain't feeding a family of four so I can make do with what I have. The boss does warn me about the lack of recognition or awards, but I guess I can deal with that as long as I am excelling on my own standards for myself.


Now:
I GOT A PROMOTION! Yaaaay! So I guess there will be a hike in the salary. I still stand by my statement on 'excelling on my own standards for myself' so that's that.

Then:
The boss lady has a tattoo. Isn't that awesome? Cos I can get a couple and not be judged or get into trouble for it. And now the best thing about this move is, NO MORE MS EXCEL, No more rows and columns of useless data-entry...... I am free from the 'Copy Paste' and the 'Alt Tab' syndrome. Yaaay!!


Now:
The boss lady has a tattoo. I now know why...she is used to enduring pain. from clients, from creative, from the team, from the press, from her family, from traffic, from her tired body. I will be good at that too...soon. As far as excel goes, I have only opened it to create communications plans for clients, which is tolerable.

I do complain night and day about the 12-hour schedule every day with the traffic situation both ways and the lack of time for myself. I miss my friends from my old team who do 'chai @ adda', team outings, smoke breaks and timepass gossip sessions without me.

But I still love this move. I finally get to write. I finally get goosebumps and my heart skips a beat when I see a new interesting assignment from the boss. I finally get to use my brain at work. I finally love going to work every morning. Finally married to a job I love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see the comments after your 1st wedding anniversary woman!

Damn cute post though :D

Paradox Philic said...

Enjoyed reading this one....(Esp "The boss lady has a tattoo. I now know why...she is used to enduring pain") :P

To me it seems you are doing a good job in writing ...keep the good work up & Congratulationsssssss for the promotion!! :)