Jun 30, 2008

One decision down!

Remember this?

Looks like my head is still muddled about most of the things listed in that post. But, there are many changes coming out of this one concrete decision.

I have taken the plunge. I am finally making the move to a position in Internal Communications. I am an 'excited electron' about this move but also scared shit-less at whether I am actually going to be good at it. My time at the agency last year was a hurricane of disastrously tight deadlines, clients yelling their head off, the boss lady yelling her head off and then the creative guys thinking, I am just not good enough to keep all the balls in the air (Wink!Wink! at Hetch). This new role is going to be a mini-hurricane of all the fun stuff I mentioned above but I still can't wait to get my feet wet in it.

I am looking forward to the writing, though. It is less pressured because it business writing. I am good at that. Copywriting or creative writing, not so sure. I guess I did choose the safer option. I still have my blog for my creative (or destructive) brain-puke so I don't mind restricting myself to business writing at work.

Plus, the job involves dealing and interacting with many leaders across the global office. That should be fun too. I like people, and all kinds of em'. I get to sit on the 'executive' floor of the office complex, so this is a great networking opportunity. I get to cover events around the different service lines in the office so I am not chained to my desk all day long.

And I can read, read and read during work. Whether its blogs, online magazines, the newspaper, comics or novels... I am actually working on professional development and building my writing skills, vocabulary and creativity. All pre-requisites for the job so no one can call it leisure activity during work hours.

The salary is static, but hey I ain't feeding a family of four so I can make do with what I have. The boss does warn me about the lack of recognition or awards, but I guess I can deal with that as long as I am excelling on my own standards for myself.

The boss lady has a tattoo. Isn't that awesome? Cos I can get a couple and not be judged or get into trouble for it. And now the best thing about this move is, NO MORE MS EXCEL, No more rows and columns of useless data-entry...... I am free from the 'Copy Paste' and the 'Alt Tab' syndrome. Yaaay!!

7 comments:

Sane Insane said...

Congratulations 'Excited Electron' on your new assignment. It does sound promising and fun :)

Your post, with angst and excitement, is very similar to a poem which I have recently posted on my blog. Do have a read and the familiar lines will bring a chuckle if not a smile.

Fictitioustruth said...

Congratulations.

remember a decision that you regret is always better than the one never made.

Give it a good shot

Paradox Philic said...

Can i apply?? :P
I dont hate excel so much but i love the possibility of reading ON the job.

Hope you have a great time!!

Anand said...

Purr-fect move!
"...as long as I am excelling on my own standards for myself" - The secret behind continuous improvement, striving to do better than one's former self, that'll take you anywhere. ;)

Sue said...

@ all : Thanks for your encouraging words, you guys!!

@ fictitioustruth: I am not so sure about that one. Cos everytime, a decision goes wrong, I say I wish I hadn't done this.

@ anand: So then you don't care about what happens in appraisals then??

Fictitioustruth said...

The opposite of that is "wish i had done that".

F... why is always a better scenario for me than, f... why not?

Condition being it was a measured choice.

Sue said...

@ fictitioustruth: well said :)

My pessimism is a pain sometimes. But I agree with your argument now, well almost. :P