Nov 23, 2007

I am no cyber-coolie...

While interviewing for a job, I got chatting with another prospective candidate for the same job in the reception area just after she had talked with the manager of that department. She said that she was asked about her thoughts on 'outsourcing and its spurt in India' . She told him she didn't really have any thoughts on it. A week into the job, me and my manager were conversing over a cup of 'chai-latte' (we are a US office, what did you expect us to drink? ) and he mentioned to me that on of the reasons why the other candidate was refused was because she didnt have any opinion on 'outsourcing' as a phenomena in India, especially Hyderabad. :O

I didn't realise the importance and relevance of this concept till I joined the corporate world in India. I dont know what the manager wanted to hear from that other girl but if I was asked the same question. I would have uttered my favourite word in the world - DEPENDS. I think it really depends on the kind of outsourcing that is done by the parent company.

In the case that the outsourcing was based on extracting the lower layers of the corporate pyramid i.e. horizontally, in order to move the operational or technical support branches to a cheaper shore...I would have no qualms about calling it 'Neo-colonialism'. Its no different from what happened to us fifty years ago. The cheaper labour and various other mineral and natural resources that India was abundant in attracted the British to our lands, which they raped consistently for two hundred odd years and left. They are doing the same to our intellectual property now! Getting workers who are going to be extremely competent with some amount of training and will be available to work at 1/10th the cost of a U.S. worker. The question is whether a worker is going to ever progress from that operational/techie position into something that allows him professional and personal growth? If it does...then it might be a different scenario altogether.

The best case scenario is when the functions that are moved out are neither horizontal nor vertical and are picked out based on client related operations which requires locational promixity and those functions that are office-based and make up the intelligence behind the client-related services. People from different levels in the organization should sit in the offshore office and hence those starting out with the company even in that office can move up the ladder in the parent company. I guess this is prevelant in certain companies that have set-up an office in India. I think, here, they are utilizing the human capital in this country in a more respectful way and utilizing their intellectual capabilities to its maximum. Job roles are generally more well-defined and meet the learning quotients that employees deserve.

And even if the job is not exactly as per an employee's dream, they can learn a lot from the company they work for. Understanding the way a multinational company is managed and getting a taste of globalization from an insider's viewpoint can ignite ideas. Ideas that can be converted to entrepreneurship for our country, something we really need to build the domestic business scenario. Utopia is an Indian economy that is supported majorly by Indian businesses. A long way to go I know, but we have come an unbelievably long way since independence so my tone is optimistic when I say that utopia is not unachievable.

Disclaimer: My views are my own are not meant to offend anyone or their profession. R E S T E C P to all my brothas n sistas out there ( Love AliG lol. Special thanks to 'Walker' who reads my posts carefully enough to correct my spellings :)

3 comments:

The Walker said...

Now Sue... Chai-latte is a totally Hyderabadi term. What else do you say when you go to an Irani cafe? 'Chai laate' or '2 chai, 2 osmania laate'...

There is nothing sinister or conspiratorial about outsourcing. The only agenda is - bottomline. The only reason someone would even hint that is jealousy! Back in the days when the BPOs had come in, the average bank manager or engineer or doctor used to take home less than the freshie in a BPO. But see what it has done... the salaries are up, we have more spending power, our economy is booming. Now what good is education (be it a tenth fail or a doctorate) if it can not support you and give you a livelihood? This industry has given Indians (including the ones not in it, like me) the opportunity to not only earn your bread but also afford lots of gravy!

Now coming to the more serious topic that you mentioned in your disclaimer... I, being an Ali G fan, am pained to see a 'sistah' misquote him.

It is R E S T E C P... innit? You may choose to ignore me cuz I is black, but I is always gonna 'keep it real'.

Sue said...

agree...i ain't outsourcing is bad...i make my bread through it too but I just wish the jobs can grow a little in terms of responsibility and intellect - in order to avoid the 'rusting' of our underutilized brains...

And...my apologies for being a sistah who is worse at spelling that her idol AliG....

thanks for pointing it out my 'brotha' from anotha motha :)

The Walker said...

Now I wonder why we need to have 'important' jobs and 'more responsibility' to be happy anymore? What's wrong in coming back home to no worries of what's happening at work? Of course as long as you are happy with the moolah... To be honest, I would be the happiest man in the world if my company pays me obscene money just to deliver training sessions. I'd go home and enjoy the rest of my evening without any nagging thoughts or psychotic phone calls... But that's me. (Now you know why I have the tendency to address others as 'kid'... 'guess I'm a bit too old school...)

And RESTECP to you for correcting the spelling. And for acknowledging me on your post. I am now a celebrity :)