Aug 17, 2011

creativity in chaos

Going through a long period of what is commonly called 'the writer's block', I have recently resurfaced on the beloved blog. While I am glad that I made it out of that dark corner, I kept trying to analyse it to figure out what went wrong. Part of that process was to find inspiration in my own work, calling for a thorough re-read of each post since I started 'the Sushi Bar' in 2007.

Then it suddenly came to me.... there is a strong positive correlation of the quality of the written piece with the frame of mind/phase of life I am in. If a graph had to represent these, then the flying peaks of happiness and deepest troughs of depression seemed to inspire the most beautiful work out of me.

What an irony. Here I am with my larger aim in life hovering around seeking stability and peace in life , hoping to balance these ac-dc phases of emotional turmoil and reach a 'zen' state of constant calm. Does that mean that I have to give up the deep spurts of creativity that emerge from these intense periods in my life?

Will I become boring and lose the edge if I attain 'zen'?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like art imitates life, so does copy.

Now you know the reason behind my hiatus. :)