Nov 22, 2008

In pursuit of harmony

My first tattoo shown in the post below - kanji symbols for the word "harmony".

I always knew that when I get a tattoo, it would be of significance to me and wouldn't be some random design just cos it looks pretty. I also have a fetish for world language scripts, I think they look beautiful, alien and mysterious.

During the 30-minute pleasurably painful ordeal of permanently inking myself, I was deep in thought about the meaning of the word "harmony". There was absolutely none of it in my life and that's what made it significant. I was in pursuit of harmony, and if I ever found it, I would treasure it for life.

Money, success, friends, relationships come and go in one's life and it's the same with mine. I had highs and lows with all of these things walking in and out of my life but the one thing that is important is to have a balanced, somewhat disassociated and almost "zen" attitude to be able ride the waves without losing yourself in it.

Harmony - "a pleasing arrangement of parts" as per dictionary.com, would allow for this "balanced" approach - a way to create beautiful music out of the high and low notes in my life.

Harmony in my mind, body, soul and in my surroundings as well.

Harmony in my mind: Making balanced, rational decisions - taking all the important factors into account and also the weightage associated with each one to come up with a decision that is best for me and the factors/people involved. A decision that I can stick with and not waver from. Basically, eradicate all confusion. A decision that comforts my gut as well as my thought.

Harmony in my body: To have all my organs in working order and together for the greater good of the whole 'Sue'. The ovary has overacting and the kidney has been kidnapped for way tooo long. I'd like to feel healthy, completely healthy - not one sniffle, not one pimple and no strain of tiredness in the body - even if its just for a day.

Harmony in my soul: To be connected, truly connected with my soul. To be in touch with my bigger purpose, to find my faith and know my place in the world. To know the real me and accept the real me.

Harmony in my surroundings: To have a healthy, happy home with no signs of schizophrenia,depression in miles of me. To have positive, balanced people as my friends, parents, acquaintences and lovers. To shower my affection on people that shower their affection on me.

This tattoo, an extension of me now, constantly reminds me to stay in pursuit of harmony.

1 comment:

TheWalker said...

Congrats on your tattoo Sue, and welcome to the gang! Please feeel free to talk to me about tattoo care in case you have questions...

And I wish you success in the pursuit of harmony :)