May 28, 2008

those forgotten fragrances...

of the spicy, raw mango pickle on my Grandma's hands when she would feed me lunch during my summer vacations at her place.

of the musky, manly after-shave that my dad would use when I was a kid. He would carry me in his arms and I would stick my little face into his neck. I absolutely loved that smell on him.

of the warm, oily, crispy vadas that mom would make every Sunday morning. My brother and I would impatiently wait outside the kitchen with our plates and a bowl full of fresh coconut chutney.

of the jasmine flowers, that my maid would put in her hair every morning. I would insist that my jasmine garland be longer that hers, no matter what.

of the ghee and sugar-filled milk halwa that my other Grandma would make every Thursday morning to lay as 'prasadam' in front of Sai baba. I would pretend to pray till she closed her eyes and then jump at the halwa, digging both my hands into it and stuff my face until she realized what I was upto.

of the first rain, every summer in Delhi. The aroma of wet mud when it tastes rain after that long, hot, beating summer is deliciouly appealing.

of the warm, bournvita milk that dad would make for me at 5 am on those chilly-Delhi winter mornings to wake me up to study for my board exams.

of the salty, humid wind by our seaside apartment in Mumbai. I could just sit at the window taking in the sights and smells of the ocean, for hours.

of the cigar-smoke filled balcony where I would go looking for grandpa when I woke up in the middle of the night from bad dreams.

of the flavoured agarbattis, that were burnt in and around the house after evening pooja on Diwali.

Oh, what I would do to travel back in time to those forgotten fragrances.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! :D

"When nothing else subsists from the past, after the people are dead, after the things are broken and scattered... the smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls... bearing resiliently, on tiny and almost impalpable drops of their essence, the immense edifice of memory."
- Proust

Hari said...

Smelly Cat, smelly cat,
What are they feeding you?
Smelly Cat, smelly cat
It's not your fault!

Anand said...

hmmm... very strong olfactory sense, just wondering if it is as strong as the visual faculty.

Did you know?
The nose has smell receptors in it and when you smell some thing for a long time, the receptors in the nose get saturated and you cannot smell it anymore.

Nose doesn't smell like the eyes see.

Sue said...

@ hari: that ladakh cold has gotten to your head.

Shweta said...

This one is my absolute favourite..
U took me back in time with you! :)